PUBLIC MEETING OF STRAFFORD COUNTY DELEGATION
MINUTES OF SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2018, 10:00 A.M.
- 1. Call Meeting to Order: Chairman Schmidt called the Public Meeting of the Strafford County Delegation to order at 10:10 a.m. in the Activities Department, Riverside Rest Home, 276 County Farm Road, Dover, New Hampshire.
- 2. Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag: Representative Southworth led the Delegation in the pledge of allegiance to the flag.
- 3. Moment of Silence: The Pledge was followed by a moment of silence in honor of the late Commissioner Leo Lessard.
- 4. Read Notice of Public Meeting: Acting Clerk Miccolo read the Notice of the Public Meeting.
- 5. Roll Call: Acting Clerk Miccolo called the roll, which showed the following members present:
PRESENT: Berube, Bixby, Burton, Ellis, Fontneau, Frost, Graham, Grassie, Horgan, Horrigan, Kaczynski, Krans, McNally, Mullen, Opderbecke, Pitre, Salloway, Schmidt, Scruton, Smith, Southworth, Spencer, Wall, and Wuelper (24 of 37)
EXCUSED: Gourgue, Phinney, Turcotte, and Vincent (4)
ABSENT: Beaudoin, Conley, Cilley, Harrington, Keans, Sandler, Spang, and Treleaven (8)
ABSTAIN: Sprague (1).
Also present were Strafford County Commissioners George Maglaras, and Watson, County Attorney Thomas Velardi, County Administrator Ray Bower, Jean Miccolo, Administrative Assistant, Somersworth Mayor Dana Hilliard, and Senator David Watters, Commissioner Candidates: James Bubar, Elizabeth Fischer, Derek Peters, Deanna Rollo, Dale Sprague, and David Stevens, as well as other members of the public.
- 6. Introduce Candidates: Chairman Schmidt welcomed everyone and thanked them for coming. He introduced the six (6) candidates present who have stated that they would like to serve out the remainder of the late Commissioner Leo Lessard’s term if elected by the Delegation. The term will go through next January, when the person who is elected to the position in November officially takes office. All will have the opportunity to run in the election if they so desire; this does not preclude them from that opportunity.
- 7. Introductory Speeches by Candidates: Chairman Schmidt asked each candidate to introduce themselves and speak for up to three (3) minutes as to their backgrounds and reason for seeking this office, if they so desired.
- •1. Elizabeth “Beth” Fischer from Dover: Ms. Fischer spoke briefly about her background and reasons for wanting to run for the County Commissioner position.
- •2. James Bubar from Durham: Mr. Bubar spoke briefly about his background and reasons for wanting to run for the County Commissioner position.
- •3. Deanna Rollo, Rollinsford: Ms. Rollo spoke briefly about her background and reasons for wanting to run for the County Commissioner position.
- •4. Dale Sprague, Somersworth: Mr. Sprague spoke briefly about his background and reasons for wanting to run for the County Commissioner position.
- •5. David Stevens, Rochester: Mr. Stevens spoke briefly about his background and reasons for wanting to run for the County Commissioner position.
- •6. Derek Peters, Rochester: Mr. Peters spoke briefly about his background and reasons for wanting to run for the County Commissioner position.
PUBLIC MEETING OF STRAFFORD COUNTY DELEGATION
MINUTES OF SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 3, 2018
- 8. Question and Answer Period: Chairman Schmidt noted that the seating order for the candidates was decided by drawing the numbers 1 through 6 from an official Patriots hat. Questions could be asked at random to all or any of the candidates. The following Representatives asked questions, which were responded to by each candidate. It was noted that there were no questions received via e-mail from Delegation members that were unable to attend.
Questions were asked by the following representatives in the order listed: Representatives Bixby, McNally, Burton, Wall, Smith, Schmidt, Wuelper, Kaczynski, and Bixby (follow-up question). Each candidate replied, starting in the order listed above, 1 to 6, and the next question, 6 to 1, and so on for each subsequent question.
For further details and to hear a recording of the questions and answers, please visit the following link, wherein a recording of the meeting is available for public review.
(left click mouse to play the audio file or copy and paste into your browser)
Chairman Schmidt asked if there were any further questions that anyone wished to ask. There being none, he closed the question and answer period of the meeting.
- 9. Thank Candidates & Public: Chairman Schmidt thanked the candidates, the Delegation members and other elected officials, as well as members of the County staff and the public for their interest and for coming to the meeting.
- 10. Other Business That May Legally Come Before the Delegation: Chairman Schmidt asked if there was any further discussion. He reminded everyone that the election process for the Commissioner’s position will take place next Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 10:00 a.m., in Superior Courtroom II of the Strafford County Courthouse. There was no further business brought up by anyone in attendance. [NOTE: The date of the next meeting was subsequently changed to Saturday, February 17, 2018 at 10:00 a.m., same location).
- 11. Adjournment: With no further business, Rep. Scruton motioned to adjourn the meeting at 11:45 a.m. The motion was seconded by Representative Horrigan and was approved unanimously on voice vote.
Jean Miccolo, Acting, Clerk